Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Olympic Glory

I've recently become frustrated with the way that the various countries are ranked in the Olympics. I feel that the medal count system is quite flawed. As of this posting, the current ranking has Norway in first with 11 medals. My problem with this? They only have 1 gold medal. They have 5 silver and 5 bronze. Meanwhile, Russia has a total of 9 medals, but 4 of them are golds and 3 of them are silver and 2 of them are bronze. To me this is far more impessive. The fact that Norway has so many silver and bronze medals says to me that they have the best losers. I don't think the team with the best losers should be at the top of the leaderboard here. Clearly the number ranking should be more weighted. A very simple solution is to have gold be worth 3, silver worth 2, and bronze worth 1.

Sure those silver and bronze medal winners may whining about doing their best, but the gold medalists go home and fuck the prom queen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No shit it's unfair. Russia has 4 golds, 4 silvers, 2 bronze, and it only adds up to 9 total medals!

I don't think anyone's holding you back from setting up your own ranking system though.