Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Making Fun of Murder

I recently got sent this video from cnn.com. It really makes me realize just how out of touch the media can really be with society. They report the standard game of "assassins" played at colleges across the country as a new phenomenon that's being played in "at least 5 cities across the country." First of all, it's a popular game played in tons of colleges across the country. Second of all, I know of games that have occurred my freshman year and I'm sure that the game predates that, which means it has been around for a while. As a matter of fact, I can't believe that when CNN was working up this story, not a single person in their office said, "Hey, I played that in college." The way they framed this story is so far beyond non-news that it's not even funny. The only interesting aspect of the story is the off-hand comment that one of the people playing got arrested for it. It's also quite unbelievable to me that the police even feel like this is some sort of new thing. Sometimes how out of touch people are just amazes me.

Life throws you curves
But you've learned to swerve

1 comment:

resqagent said...

i remember the game being played my freshman year of high school. it was officially sponsored that year by the senior class but was then banned and went underground after a guy dressed in full camo and sat outside his target's (girl's) house in the am. that prompted her father to call the cops.