Friday, March 23, 2007

No Stone Throwing Regardless of Housing Situation

Ever since Mitch Hedberg passed away there has been a hole in my heart regarding stand-up comics. Sure, I find other comedians humorous. There's Jim Gaffigan and that guy with the puppets. Dan Cook is probably one of the most popular right now and while I do enjoy his comedic styles it can get a little bit old. No, in my heart of hearts there has not been a contender to take Mitch's place for a long time. Now rises a new comedic star to whom I'm attempted to give my comedic adoration. His name is Demetri Martin. I first saw him on the Daily Show as a correspondant with his piece Trendspotting. Of particular note was his piece on Myspace and Social Networking. I found him entertaining, but not really anything outstanding compared to the satirical deliciousness of the daily show. Then I saw his stand-up special, which really hit home for me. He combined many of my great loves, he has a similar style to Mitch (in reality I suppose both comedians are really derivatives of Steven Wright [I probably spelled that wrong but I'm tired of looking stuff up]). Demetri also throws in charts and graphs for a segment of his comedy, which anyone who knows me knows that I'm a sucker for statistics and graphs...even if they are completely made up. He also does a variety of other things that are quite different from your stand-up comedy fair. All and all I find him to be totally hilarious and irreverant.



But when you think: Tim McGraw,
I hope you think my favorite song
The one we danced to all night long:
The moon like a spotlight on the lake
When you think happiness,
I hope you think: "That little black dress"
Think of my head on your chest,
An' my old faded blue jeans
When you think Tim McGraw,
I hope you think of me

No comments: