Saturday, May 19, 2007

Annual Review

Recently for work I had my first annual review. I sat down with my boss to discuss the past year as well as the upcoming years. To prepare for this my boss asked me to come up with your standard "Where do you see yourself in 1, 5, 10 years." I figured I'd share that with the general populace, as well as adding on where I see my personal life in that time span.

One Year - 2008

Professional

Still here in Southern California. I want to have a more robust knowledge of exactly how the program works. There are still some things that I muddle through and I’d like to have a firmer understanding of exactly what I’m doing. I’d like to have more experience with the initial meetings with clients, before they’ve decided to actually choose to use our program. Pretty much every client that I’ve met with so far have been those that have already signed contracts with us, other that Santa Barbara and even they were already using our old system. I’d also like my knowledge of the accounting side to improve. I’ve learned a lot about accounting, but I still don’t ‘really feel comfortable fixing problems and providing programming solutions to things that come up on the accounting side.

Personal

Obviously my professional life has a big impact here, as in order to still be here in SoCal to work, I must also be here to live. By this time next year I should be living more towards the beach, either in Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, or perhaps the slightly less glamorous Costa Mesa. I'd probably like to be in some sort of relationship, but as I've shown in the past I have very a very low tolerance for non-functioning relationships, so I certainly won't be bending my standards merely so that in a year I can say that I'm in one. In the past years I've established some solid friends. I think my primary goal regarding friendships is concerned is to see the relationships I have deepen a little bit. I could probably use a few more friends, specifically with people my own age, but I'm pretty satisfied with the number I have now, so my focus will be on improving the quality of my current friendships rather than the quantity.

Five Years - 2012

Professional

As of right now I guess I would still see myself as being with Panoramic in 5 years and growing with the company. I know that the company’s goal is expanding and becoming a larger both geographically and philosophically and I’d like to be a part of that. I really like the work that I do and being part of a growing company is always exciting. If we expand to other states (especially the east coast) I would likely be happy to really help with that. I also would like with helping acclimate new employees to our company and culture.

Personal

My personal life again is highly contingent on my professional life. But in five years I'd really like to be in a position to start the process of settling down. Not necessarily settle with roots set, but in a position to start doing so. In other words I'd like to have a good idea of where my life is going. Right now I have so many avenues available to me that my future is extremely foggy. In 5 years I know I still wont' know exactly where this ride of life is taking me, but I'd like to know if I'm heading east or west. As far as relationships are concerned I'd like to be in a serious relationship by then. Again not necessarily fully committed, but I'd like to be in a relationship that has been at least 1 or 2 years along, with an eye on the future. My friendships should hopefully be well established by then. Through most of my life I've had a fairly high amount of turnover regarding friends. Not really having any fallouts with people, but a lot of people that I become really good friends with and then just sort of fade away. Hopefully in the next 5 years there will be less of that.

Ten Years - 2017

Professional

This far out is extremely foggy to me. It’s weird for me to try to think of a time that is farther away than my high school graduation was. So much has changed for me in the past 6 years as far as where I thought I’d be. Even the amount that’s changed in the past 2 years I find to be fairly astounding. By 10 years from now I do hope to be more settled in my life, definitely with a much more permanent residency than what I have right now. I could still see myself with Panoramic, but there are certainly other things that I have inklings to do, perhaps attending some sort of grad school and getting a more advanced degree.

Personal

Like I said with professional, this is so far off that it almost hurts to think about. I know that I'll basically be a completely different person with a completely different life at this point. By 2017, I'd plan on being married, likely with a child if not already in existence, on the way in the near future. I'd probably be owning my own home by this point and really have my roots settled in and really taking hold. Essentially, 10 years from now I want as many things in my life to be stable and determined as possible. I know this is probably a pipe dream, but that's why this is "Where I'd Like to Be in 10 Years," not, "I Know My Life is Going to Be This Way in 10 Years Because I'm Magic"

Code monkey like Frittos
Code monkey like Tab and Mountain Dew
Code monkey very simple man
With big warm fuzzy secret heart
Code monkey like you

No comments: