Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Jealousy

I thought maybe you'd like to hear of the person that I tend to be most jealous of right now. That would be my friend who is currently in Australia. I touched on her briefly a few days ago when I was talking about my friend in Africa. For the rest of this post I will refer to my friend in Australia as Aussie. Anyways, after a random conversation with one of her friends, Aussie agreed to travel down under for a few months. She stopped off in California for a bit and the Fiji and New Zealand and she is currently touring the wonders of the country/continent of Australia. I have been keeping up on her travels via her blog and they make me quite jealous.

One, rather obvious, reason that I'm jealous is because she's just having all of these awesome adventures. Seeing the beautiful coasts, bungee jumping, surfing, and drinking nearly ever night. Hanging out with natives and backpackers in Hostels and just generally having a fantastic time. Also, from what I can tell from the pictures she's gotten a pretty sweet tan. She might be getting a job down there and May, but at the very least she gets to continue her adventures until she returns stateside.

Meanwhile, the only time I've ever even left the country was to got to Quebec when I was in 9th grade... And that sucked. Otherwise most of my travels have consisted of wrestling team trips to middle of nowhere places in the Midwest and trips with the fam, which while they're fun don't really have the same sense of independence and adventure. Actually, that pretty much makes up all of my travels, which is rather weak. And it makes me really worried about my "worldliness"

Quite honesty the real reason I'm jealous of Aussie is that she had the balls to do that. She doesn't really have much money saved away, and she just impulsively decided to go on this awesome trip to the other side of the globe. I don't know if I really have that sort of thing in me. I really wish I did have the necessary impulsive wherewithal to do it and I really do admire her for her cahones. Good thing she has limited internet access, otherwise I'd be worried about her reading this and getting a big head over it.

if i hadn't blown the whole thing years ago

1 comment:

resqagent said...

as soon as i finish med school interviews - which should be early spring of 2008 - i will be game for random globe traveling.

i've always dreamed about it and am banking for it.

screw med school tuition. loans can pay for that.