Thursday, April 13, 2006

Inconsiderate Relatives Part I: Why the Party is a Bad Idea

This is the first time that I've ever posted my feelings about people in my life and I'm pretty sure it's going to end up biting me in the ass. However, I'm just way to pissed about this to not write about it.

My parent's 25th anniversary is coming up this spring, which is a very special moment indeed. My mother's side of the family have apparently planned a party in their honor. A nice grand gesture you say? I disagree. This party is a complete sham and is merely being put on because it's what people do. I have often been troubled by the things that people put themselves through simply because it's traditional or because society has generally portrayed that as a thing to do. To understand my dislike for this party idea you really need to understand the structure of my family. My immediate family is not connected very well to anyone outside of it. We're sort of an island onto ourselves. Well, I guess that's not quite right, my mother is close to her family, but as a whole my household is quite seperate from both sides of the family. We go to specific family events to show our faces so that they won't talk behind our backs so much. My dad in particular really doesn't like anyone outside of our family.

So we come to this party, which is being thrown "for" my parents. But will my parents really appreciate it or enjoy themselves...highly doubtful. It's much more likely that we'll all be miserable and that something will happen that will piss us all off and keep us from talking to certain members of the family for years. If they really wanted to honor my parents, they would send them out for something private and intimate. My mom might enjoy this little party, but this should be about both my parents, about both of them as a couple, and I can tell you right now, my dad is not going to be happy at this thing. Time and money would be much better spent on some sort of romantic intimate getaway. A way for the two of them just to be alone together without anyone else around them. That would be the proper way to celebrate my parent's 25th anniversary because it's how they exist in life. Generally preferring to be seperated from everyone else with each other and only contacting the outside world when necessary.

it's not about you now

No comments: