Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Short and Sweet

I read this Walter Ellis story today. I felt like I needed to share with whoever happens to read this.

The little girl sat crying on the park bench, clutching a pink
backpack with an envelope sticking out of it. I sat next to her,
phone in my hand. Are you lost?"

"No. My mummy and daddy died and I have to live with Grandma
who hates me so I'm running away."

"Oh, honey," I said. "I'm so sorry about your parents."

"Grandma makes me do horrible things and when I complain she
makes me read the note mummy and daddy left me before they died."

She gave me the envelope. The note inside read:


"You made us do this."


© Warren Ellis 2006
I'm still stunned.

So rest assured I have the key to every opening
To every wishing well that's deep enough to dream.

No comments: