Wednesday, June 08, 2005

I Know I Am and So Are You

Today, I am driven to discuss a group of people who tend to drive me nuts, in that the entire basis for their sub-culture is hypocritical. That group of people being "non-comformists" or those people who claim to exist in the counter-culture. Notice the quotes around the word non-comformists there, that's important and the existance of those quotes is what I plan on arguing here. Now, just in case you aren't quite sure who I'm talking about, I'm talking about the people who dress and act in a specific attempt to distinguish themselves with a popular culture that they are most displeased with. They are easily recognizable by their desperate attempts to appear different and independant from everyone else.

And at establishing their independance, they fail...miserably. They often claim that everyone else in the world is conforming and they are striking out on their own and being rebelious against society. The only problem with this is that they "rebel" in a conformist fashion. Very rarely do any of these individuals so something unique and individual, most often they are following the most recent "non-conformist" trend. Be it getting interesting piercings, dying their hair, or walking around the mall and moping about how every else in the world is a huge tool that conforms to the general majority. Granted, they may not be conforming to the majority, but they ARE conforming to their social group, which, no matter how you slice it, is still conforming. I should make sure I point out the fact that I have no problem with people having various piercings or tatoos, or dying their hair or whatever. It's when they do so for the purpose of establishing themselves as non-conformists, simply because it's hypocritical.

In case you're wondering, the specific thing that spurred this whole post was the fact that I saw a kid in the mall yesterday wearing a shirt that said something along the lines of "I'm laughing at you because you are all the same and I am not," or some shit like that. I'm pretty sure that the shirt made a better attempt at being witty than I'm giving it credit for here, but the point is it was dumb. Now let's just argue against this kid and his shirt. First of all, he's wearing a mass produced shirt that claims that everyone else is the same but HE is different. Let's relook at what i just wrote there...MASS PRODUCED SHIRT. I'm sorry, but if you're wearing a shirt that is being sold at Hot Topic, Journeys, or any other store that is commonly found in malls across the country, you can't really claim to be different. It be one thing if you had a specific way of integrating that shirt into some sort of outfit, but clearly there are litterly thousands of kids who own that shirt, and probably hundreds that were wearing that shirt that particular afternoon.

Another point here, believe it or not, we all conform. Conforming is a natural part of human existance, if you don't conform, you don't have friends. It's a simple as that. People are friends with people who they are similar to, therefore, quite naturally, we are programmed to mimic those who are around us. Mannierisms, beliefs, style, all these things slowly conform to be similar to those of your ingroup. You can't really stop it, for the most part this happens subconciously, it's just the way human beings are programmed. The only people who I feel can claim are non-conformists are anti-social hermits. People who purposely seperate themselves from ALL of society, not just certain parts of it. When you only seperate yourself from certain parts of society, you are joining another culture, and that's the culture that you're joining. You can easily see this when you're walking throught the mall. A bunch of goth type kids laughing at the preppy kids for all being the same...meanwhile, they're all dressed identically. Sometimes, these very kids are a group that are the least distinguishable from each other. Their identities are lost in their group setting, just like everyone else...





Your Seduction Style: The Natural





You don't really try to seduce people... it just seems to happen.
Fun loving and free spirited, you bring out the inner child in people.
You are spontaneous, sincere, and unpretentious - a hard combo to find!
People drop their guard around you, and find themselves falling fast.




I don't mind if you marry me for money, as long as every night I can have sex with you
You want cash and I need ass
I'll buy you clothes if you have my kids
-The Holy Smokes "Let's Get Married"

No comments: