Wednesday, September 14, 2005

My Dog, Not Yours Bitch

There's recently been a story in the news, which both breaks my heart and pisses me off to a large degree. To summarize the article, a family's dog slipped his collar and tags and bolted as a result of being frightened by some loud noise. The dog was picked up by the SPCA and despite the fact that the original family had spent hundreds of dollars trying to recover the dog and had called the SPCA while they had their dog, another family was allowed to adopt the dog 5 days after it had been picked up. This error was discovered and the original family was notified that their dog of 9 years was now owned by someone else.

Now, one would think that the dog's new owners, who have only had the dog for about a month, would return this dog to it's original owners, especially when one considers that the original family's daughter (who is like 4) has been crying for the dog and is most distraught. However, the dog's new family refuses to return to dog. I've even heard that some old man who can no longer care for his dog (which is the same exact mix as the lost dog), offered the dog's current owners his dog if they returned the lost dog to it's original owners. They refused. Who are these people? This is quite possibly one of the worst things I've heard of anyone doing. They couldn't have gotten that attached to him. They've had them for a month and their behavior demonstrates a complete lack of empathy for the dogs original owers.

You have only been gone ten days, but already I'm wasting away.
I know I'll see you again
whether far or soon.
But I need you to know that I care
and I miss you.

No comments: