Monday, March 13, 2006

Voracious Vocabulary

You may or may not know that my favorite word is ineffable, which means unable to be put into words. It was once used brilliantly in "How I Met Your Mother" in what is still one of my favorite moments of the show (probably my absolute favorite moment which does not involve NPH's character Barney, who is a hero to us all).
Natalie: [Ted just broke up with Natalie] I'm not the one for you?
Ted: I'm sorry. I just thought the mature thing to do...
Natalie: It's my birthday!
Ted: Yes, I know I didn't mean to...
Natalie: It's my birthday, and you're telling me I'm not the one for you?
Ted: It's really not such a big deal. I mean it's the odds. It's like you lost the lottery.
Natalie: Oh, so dating you is like winning the lottery?
Ted: No, no, no. I didn't mean that.
Natalie: So what's the problem?
Ted: It's… I can't explain it.
Natalie: Try!
Ted: It's... ineffable.
Natalie: I'm not "F-able"?
In any case, I've recently discovered that I seem to have another favorite word. This one not so much because I like it, but because I seem to be using it a lot recently. That word is quizically. Any friends of mine may be reading this thinking, "Hey, I don't think I've ever heard Jack use that word." Well here's the thing, I seem to only use it in my inner monalogue. It's generally in the frame of "That person is looking at me quizically." Come to think of it, maybe I shouldn't be so concerned with the fact that I've been using the word quizically in my inner monologue so much as I should be concerned with the fact that I seem to be receiving a larger number of quizical looks as of late... I should probably look into this.

Since I'm on the topic of vocabulary words, I picked up a new word which I really like about 15 minutes ago. That word being immemorial, which means reaching beyond the limits of memory, tradition, or recorded history. Now, I just need to find a context to use it.

You always fold just before you're found out

No comments: