Sunday, April 16, 2006

Storytime: Runaway Train (Never Coming Back)

So on Friday night MO and I went in into the fine city of Philadelphia for WMMR's Spring Break featuring Soul Asylum and Switchfoot. It was at the Liacouras center in Temple University. We got there a little bit later than we expected and when we realized that the beer inside the Liacouras center was 5 bucks a beer we left and went to the bar down the street to pregame a bit down at the Draught Horse (we had extra tickets because we had each won 2 tickets each and weren't cool enough to find any chicks to bring along. Anyway, we finished up our pregaming and returned to the Liacouras center just in time for the Hottest Spring Break Chick contest hosted by Preston & Steve. It was pretty sweet, although the wrong chick one. They tiny first chick was the hottest by far, the only reason the girl that won won was because she almost flashed her boobs. I'm sorry, but I feel the contest should not have been won on such grounds. Especially since she was quite obviously just being a tease.

Anyway, Soul Asylum came on and they pretty much sucked, although they finally played Black Gold and Runaway Train, which were both pretty sweet. After that we started to get bored. MO noticed that there was a special VIP section in the back and we became determined to sneak in. We edged up to the curtain, about 10 yards from the security people at the entrance and Mike slipped behind, I thought I saw someone grab him, so I became hesitant to join him. After waiting a little while and not receiving a telephone call from him saying he had been kicked out, I decided my best option was to attempt to join him. I slipped back through a curtain, where the guards' view of me was shielded by a waste disposal unit. A timed their movements and stealthy snuck by them into the main VIP area. The VIP area was literally an oasis in a desert of 5 dollar bud lights. There was free beer a plenty as well as a buffet area which I was not at all interested in (good thing too, because it's likely that I would have forgotten that it was Friday and eaten meat). I snagged a number of free beerskis and drank them whilst I searched for my partner in crime.

I eventually deemed that he had not successful wetbacked his way through and had been caught by the border partrol agents. So I loaded up on free beers, filling my pockets and tucking my shirt into my pants so that I could store more beers there (they were given to me in unopened cans). I'm not sure how I made it past the guards with beers bulging out of me everywhere, but I did and I sat up in the stands to call my dear friend. All in all I had about 5 beers with me at this point and I called my friend in order to share my bounty. Unfortunately when he had been caught earlier he was ejected from the arena and I was left to my lonesome. I drank a few of the beers while listening to switchfoot, they sucked. At some point I went to the bathroom and when I returned to my seat all but the last beer I had taken with me were gone, so I drank that. I then attempted to sneak back into the back again, cause I figured why leave normally when I can get thrown out, which I did. Afterwards I rejoined my compatriot at the Draught Horse and we returned home via Septa train.

Runaway train never going back
Wrong way on a one way track
Seems like I should be getting somewhere
Somehow I'm neither here no there

No comments: