Monday, September 25, 2006

Whatever Happened To Jogging So Slow

When was the last time you've ever heard someone say they were going for a jog? This thought occurs to me almost every time that I go for a run. See that, a run, not a jog. I don't hear anyone say that they're going jogging, they say they're going running or going for a run. I wonder what the subcontext of this is. For one thing, has there actually been a decrease in the frequency of the use of the word jog, or am I imagining it in some way. There are many ways my perception of the use of the word job could be distorted. For one thing, I could just be assuming that the use of the word jog was more prevolent in the past, this could in fact not be truth. Or my perception of the amount the word was used in the past could be distorted or my perception now could be distorted. Maybe I just heard jog a lot when I was younger because that was a gym teacher or a coach word and now that I'm no longer in gym class or wrestling, I'm not around those who would use that word. But still, it strikes me as to how rarely I ever hear that someone is going to go for a jog.

If there has in fact been a decrease in the frequency of "jog," I suppose there are a few reasons for that as well. One could be that people are less healthy nowadays and work out less. While these things might be true, I don't think that explains it, especially since I'm in California now and generally associate with pretty fit people. Another explanation is what's implied by the word jog. Perhaps a "jog" is seen as almost a lazy man's version of a jog. Indeed, in wrestling practice there were 4 speeds for warming up, walk, jog, run, and sprint. Perhaps people are embarassed to say they "jog" as it implies that they're doing something less intense than a run. Indeed, when the coach would bring us down from a run to a jog, it always felt like a break. Thus in order to sound like they're working harder and are more intense, they say they are going for a run rather than for a jog. I certainly would never describe the runs I do as "jogs," since I consider my workout to be rather high on the intensity level and push myself to extremes. Then again, this could go back to explaining that it's just my perception of the issue. Perhaps now I just hang around more intense people than I did when I was younger. So the people I hang around with now are more likely to run than to jog, while the people who I hung around with when I was younger were more inclined to jog than to run.

This all makes me wonder if this trend were to continue and people will start saying that they're' going for a "sprint" and the lazy people will be going for runs. Then again we do live in fat America...

So today I discovered that the run I've been doing is about 1.5 miles longer than I thought it was.
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=457638.

I guess I thought it wasn't so far because it isn't as painful as my old run was. That's probably due to the fact that the current route is rather flat, while my old path was notorious for having rolling hills. And by notorious I mean notorious to me because I'm pretty sure not too many people are familiar with the rolling hills of Laguna Niguel. Also, apparently the run that I used to do was 6 miles long.
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=457773

I had no idea. No wonder I stopped losing weight once I moved.

In any case, I'm quite pleased with the fact that I've been running farther than I thought, especially since I feel that I could do my new route twice without too much trouble. That means I should be able to currently run at least 11 miles.

Maybe I should find a marathon to run and join that fun club.

He doesn't look a thing like Jesus
But he talks like a gentleman
Like you imagined when you were young.

No comments: